- Monday, June 11th, 2012
- By admin
- In Blog
- Comments Off on How to secure a motorcycle trailer
If you’ve bought a trailer, you’ll probably want to know how to secure the trailer. For obvious reasons, you want to make sure that you’re doing the right thing here. We’ll guide you through the steps.
1. Attach the ratchet straps to the sides of the trailer. If you don’t have anyone to help you, place the rear strap wherever you can reach it. If you have a ramp, place it on the back of the motorcycle.
2. Start the motorcycle, giving it enough time for it to warm up. From there, you want to ride it onto the trailer. If no ramp is available, lift the front wheel first and place it on the trailer. Then, reposition yourself to lift the rear wheel on.
3. Tether a soft rope around the rear frame. Make sure that the rope is enough to go around the frame and back to the rear wheel. Tie both of the ends together in hopes of forming a circle.
4. While sitting on the seat of the motorcycle, reach down to the rear ratchet strap. It’s important that the rear strap reaches the loop. From here, the goal is to attach the strap on each side and tighten while you’re on the bike.
5. Attach and tighten the ratchet straps. There should be a total of four. Two should go to the handlebars; two should be attached to the wheel.
6. You want to place a wheel chock behind both of the wheels. Wood blocks would also suffice. They’re used to keep the motorcycle secure and from rolling backwards.